We arrived in Destin yesterday morning around 9:00. What was the drive like? Well, I have to start out and say that we have the BEST kids in the world (at least on the way here, still have to see how the drive home is). My mom packed up box full of crayons, coloring books, different card games, and so forth. That completely kept the boys entertained. Chrissi was also very good. She watched movies and talked and laughed. At one point Brennan said, "Mommy Chrissi is really enjoying herself." It was so sweet. We also brought Chrissi a bunch of little books and her bunny (baby) that Trisha (her Godmother) gave to her.
It was time to "go to bed" at 9:30. Movie was turned off and lights out. They fell asleep rather quickly. To stay awake Jesse and I drank caffeine drinks, Diet Coke for me and Diet Pepsi or coffee for him, the whole way here. Needless to say that we had to make more stops than normal to use the restroom. We stopped at one gas station around 1:00. Chrissi woke up and the little booger stayed awake until 4am. She was very good, but we still wanted her to go to sleep. Everytime we would tell her to go night, night she would just give us a big shit eating grin.
The drive itself was not free of stress/drama. Leaving St. Louis we were travelling on Hwy 70 in the express lanes near downtown. The car in front of us swerved and we quickly realized why. There was a huge portion of fiberglass (I guess that's what it's called) from the front end of a car in the middle of the lane. That was quite scary. Chrissi was upset. Not crying, but kept saying "ok? ok? ok?". The drive was ok through Illinois, but in KY we hit torrential downpours, severe thunderstorms, and wind gusts that made it hard to stay in our lane. At times we were going about 25 miles per hour. Did I forget to mention that I was driving during all of this? Ugh. I was scared to death. Visibility at times was non-existant. The rest of the drive was pretty easy. Oh yah, exept for when we were in Tennessee and on the radio the emergency broadcast system went off for Thunderstorm warnings. It listed about 25 counties. Without being from TN we had no idea if we were in one of the areas in the warning. Jesse told me not to worry about it unless the wind changed. Duh? How could I tell that? It had been blowing wicked crazy since we left St. Louis. At one point I even called the 511 travel info. At that point it was severe thunderstorms, THAT I can deal with.
The kids finally got a litte rowdy the last hour or so, but it was not a big deal. They were totally excited. OMG, I forgot to mention, that we stopped to go to the bathroom around 5:30am and were STARVING. EVERYONE woke up and we said at that point we were looking for a McDonald's to eat breakfast. "We can't eat breakfast yet, Mommy, it's still night time," said Brennan. "Honey, I know it's still dark, but it is VERY early in the morning." Brennan smiles huge! Ian says, "Woohoo, Cowabunga, Mommy". To anyone else that reads this, probably not quite as funny or cute, but to me and Jesse, it was off the charts cute!
It rained most of the day yesterday, but the boys and I did get to go put our feet in the ocean before it rained. Once we heard thunder we were out of there!
I will have much more tomorrow as well as pictures!!!
a return to "beautiful"...
9 years ago

1 comment:
I want pictures!!!!!!!
Post a Comment