Thursday, May 01, 2008

I crashed into my parents house today!!!!

Ok, not quite as exciting as the title, but nonetheless my Dad was upstairs in his office and thought we were having another earthquake. No, Dad, not an earthquake, just your daughter!!

We leave tomorrow evening to head to Destin, so Jesse put the luggage carrying thing-a-majiggy on top of the roof. I did EXCELLENT all day driving around like a big dork in my mini-van (like it, but still not psyched about being a mini van mom) with that big stupid thing on top. I even had Jesse measure from the ground up to see how tall it is, because it is important that we can still go through a drive thru or two along the way. (McDonald's here we come.......BLAH!) So, like I said, I had no problems all day, heck I even took the van to the car wash and gave it and myself a shower (thanks to the wind). No problem fitting into the stall and TRUST me I checked. I pulled in until the entrance was at my windshield and then I literally got out of the car to make sure we would fit.

Now that you have some background about my day, here's what happenend in the short sweet version (can't type too long, have LOTS of packing to do). I had to drop off some clothes for my nephew at my parents. When my mom is at work I usually pull in the garage if I'm going to leave the kids in the car. Even though where they live is EXTREMELY safe and secure, I just don't like to take chances. They live on a private drive and I guess you could say that there isn't anything that I do slowly, especially driving. So like normal, I drove rather quickly up their drive (I think I've done the same speed on the drive since I was 16) and straight into the garage. THUD!!!!!!!!!!! Oh SHIT!!!!! I forgot about the stupid damn luggage thingy. Yes, that is exactly what went through my head, I hope it didn't come out of my mouth because one of the kids I babysit was in the car. If it did, Sheri, I am sorry. My next thought was "OMG, how bad did I screw up the car and the house?". Quickly I put the car in reverse just hoping that I wasn't STUCK. This is probably a matter of 15 seconds TOPS!! By the time I was out in the driveway my dad was out the front door.

Once I realized there was no damage to the house or my car it was incredibly funny. What the hell? I realize that I have issues with my short term memory due to my accident and head injury 11 years ago, but c'mon. I am such a DORK!!!! Jesse happened to call pretty soon after to see how my day was going. He had a GREAT time with my story. I don't know how, but the only thing that I broke was the front straps that were holding it to my van. Ripped in half. My dad is saving them to show everyone, that's the kind of family that I have!! =)

My next post will be from sunny Florida!!!! Please say a prayer for safe travels for us. And hopefully, what happened today is the extent of our travel problems. If you're not the praying type, I don't know, can you cross your fingers or something.

Sidenote: The original Vacation has always been a favorite of my family. My Dad totally reminds us all of Clark/Sparky (in fact we often address him by either of those), let's just hope that it is not spreading to the next generation, meaning me!!!!

4 comments:

Robin said...

I guess Jesse will be driving most of the way to Florida, huh? Write yourself a BIG note to set on the dash - CARRIER ON ROOF! DORK!

Kelly said...

OMG I am peeing in my pants ! Glad everyone and evertything was okay! We are qutie Griswold-like as well. I hate to break it to you but what you did was totally Sparky!!!!LOL Have fun and I cannot wait to see pics! I will keep you in my prayers for safe travels. Have a blast!

Laurie said...

That is so funny! Remind me to tell you about the time I ran the FedEx truck into the large doctor's office! This was about the time this area was to experience 'THE BIG ONE' from the New Madrid Fault! :)

I'll be praying for you guys. Hope you have a great time and take lots of pictures!

Xadie's Journey said...

We are heading to Destin on Friday the 9th. I hope your not driving...lol