What a week we've had this week. The boys started FIRST grade on Monday and it has been interesting to say the least. They were both so excited for school. Monday morning they woke up bright and early so they could watch me make their lunch. (PB&J, chips, cookies, and a Capri Sun). After that they got to have whatever they wanted for breakfast, of couse they had to pick from the suggestions that I gave them. Eggs and toast it was. With full bellies and new clothes on we sent them off for their first FULL day of school (kindergarten was half days). I will admit that I was super excited that they would be in school all day long, but at the same time apprehensive because these two big guys are still my babies and each grade level is a milestone, meaning they are getting older. But seriously, is there really a mom out there that doesn't have this same feeling every year.
My little big guys on the front porch before we head to the bus stop. Brennan had to wear a hat because of his "accident" the week before. Anytime he goes in the sun until it resumes it's natural color he has to wear the hat and sunblock.
The day progressed with much anxiety and anticipation about the first day of school. When the bus finally showed up, albeit 40 minutes late, they got off the bus with smiles so big it melted my heart. That night I took them to Chevy's for dinner and we talked about their day throughout dinner. They thoroughly enjoyed their day. As for the best part of the day it was a no brainer.......recess!!! Typical first graders.
End result of Day One.............AWESOME!!!
And then Day Two happens!
Day Two started the same, but the ending was not quite so good. Brennan runs off the bus into my arms. I'm thinking to myself that he must have really missed me. Nope, he was so excited to see me so he could be the first to tell me that Ian got in trouble at school and a note was sent home with him. My heart sank!!! Are you kidding me?? It's only the second day of school. Immediately I turn to Ian to ask what happened and he just handed me his back pack. The note said, "I will not bite Casey's clothes." Seriously he bit someone's clothes?? So after our talk about "are you and animal or a little boy? and little boys do not go around chewing on people's clothing" he lost Playstation, Wii, and tv for the night. To Ian that is a HUGE punishment. Of course I still let him go play with his friends OUTSIDE because I had done nothing wrong, why should I be punished, right?!!!
Day Three begins!!
As I'm sure you can imagine the morning of Day Three was full of pep talks, threat talks (like losing stuff again), and more reminders of being a good boy. I wasn't really too nervous on Wednesday/Day Three because I just KNEW that it would be a good day. When the bus arrived that afternoon both boys came off smiling. I asked Ian if he had a good day and heard him say yes. High fives and big ole hugs for him. Then he realizes that I didn't hear what he said correctly. "Yes, I got a note today, Mom." To say that I was upset would be an understatement. As we are walking to the house I notice a "rip" in his brand new shirt. "Ian what happened to your shirt today?" With puppy dog eyes he tells me that he cut it with scissors. Now I'm completely mad. When inside I read the note, "I will not play in line". I guess at least he stopped biting, I don't know, trying to find a positive somewhere. This time his punishment was a bit more severe, he was grounded to his room for the rest of the night. About an hour later I called him down for dinner and I noticed something that I hadn't previously. He had a slight bald spot in his hair. Through clenched teeth I asked him if he cut his hair. Again with puppy dog eyes he nodded yes. Do you think I was even more mad? You BETCHA!!!!!! Since he was already grounded to his room there wasn't too much ore that I could do.
Here is the infamous bald spot!!! Not that hard to notice on your child that has jet black hair!
Not the best picture, but this is his attempt at tailoring his brand new shirt.
The boys have been into watching the Olympics, but especially Ian. He kept calling down from upstairs asking if he could watch the Olympic Games and I kept telling him no he was grounded. After he'd been in his room for about 3 hours (minus coming down for dinner) Brennan gave him permission to come down and watch the games. Mind you at this point I was feeling sick to my stomach that he was missing something he really enjoyed watching, not to mention something that is only on every 4 years. Here's how it went down.
Brennan: Ian, you can come down and watch the Olympic Games, that'll be fine. You can't play Wii with me and Mommy, but you can watch the games. You're my best friend and I don't want you to cry. So that'll be fine if you come watch the games.
Ian comes racing down the stairs and throws his arms around Brennan.
Ian: Thank you, Brennan. I love you and you are my best friend!
Ok, so as a mom I know that I probably should have stuck to my guns, but I think that he got the message. And let's face it, after that type of brotherly love did I really want to stop it. I know, I know I'm a softy. But like my mom said at least I didn't give in, I just let it happen. Not sure if that makes it better, but at the same time being grounded for even a few hours did the trick. So far so good.......hopefully that's the end of the notes for a long time. I guess this is Ian's year! Last year he received a stamp for good behavior EVERY DAY, Bren on the other hand had a few days with writing (meaning he was in trouble) verses a stamp. Talk about role reversal!

3 comments:
I hadn't heard about day three. Little Ian- he cut his hair????
These stories will be hilarious in 15 years. ;)
i'm so happy ian finally figured it out, cheri!!! may he and brennen continue along the right path, lol:D they are so cute!!!
love,
dani
Yah day 3 was definitely worse than day 2, Jamie. What a little booger!
Dani, I hope they continue on the right path, but my family keeps joking that now it's Brennan's turn.
I have to say I hold my breathe when they get off the bus!!!
Post a Comment