I made the decision to go back to school to become an elementary teacher. At first I was going to go to the University of Phoenix because I could do the entire program online. Although I did receive a lot of support, in the back of my mind the negative criticism was still there about going to school online, especially for the core teaching classes. And then after a bit more research I realized how out of the world expensive each credit hour was. So I made the decision to do the "smart" thing, finish out my basic classes at the community college to get my associates and then transfer to a local university and finish in evening classes. Only problem is almost all of the classes are full at the community college. I went this morning thinking that it would be no big deal to register. Instead I kind of got a lecture about waiting until the last minute. I guess I forgot about classes filling up and so forth. And I should have made this decision a long time ago. But please don't lecture me, I already feel old enough beginning this at my age (and, yes, I know 34 isn't old). There were other words/slash names I wanted to call the sweet lady, but I am too old for that.
The community college does offer courses online for a lot of the basics and that is what I really want. Why do I want to do this? Hmmmmmmm, I babysit during the day to bring in my portion of income and so I can be home with the kids (to save on childcare) and Jesse works disgustingly weird hours at night. But the lady smirked when she told me that those are next to impossible to get into. Why in the hell are they offered then? For me to go to school a few nights a week defeats the purpose that I stay home with the kids during the day because I would have to get a babysitter. Don't get me wrong, for the most part I love being home with the kids and even watching the others. But right now, I am just aggravated that I want to do something and keep hitting walls. I am aware that when I transfer to a 4 year college I will go in the evenings, but I figured that is at least 1 - 2 years down the road.
I have been really looking forward to going back to school. (Heck, I think I even motivated a cousin of mine to go back). I just didn't think it was going to be so tough.
I am also kicking myself HARD in the butt for not doing it when it was available to me right out of high school. I went.........but I didn't really go for the classes, I went for the parties. Well, that wasn't really my initial goal, but to make a long story short, that's what happened. (Sorry again Mom and Dad!)
Anyway, that's my super bummer of a day. The will have further classes that will open on the 13th (anyone that hasn't paid their tuition by the 11th will be dropped from classes and then they MIGHT open for me). Granted registration opens at 8am and the lady today told me there will be lines around the building. Wasn't she a sweetheart, I have no idea why I almost left in tears. Hey, I made it to the car at least. I thought the job of an advisor was to be encouraging. I guess that's only if you are in high school So I guess that I will get up at 4:30 and take my chances of being there at 5:00AM. Please wish me luck that I get into at least one or two of the classes, and yes they will be at night, and yes I will have to find someone to watch the kids.
a return to "beautiful"...
9 years ago

10 comments:
Say a prayer. I find things that are supposed to happen find a way. Who cares if hardly anybody gets into a class? All you care is that you get into the class. If it has to be somebody, why not you?
cheri,
you might try going directly to the professors (of the classes/times that you want) and asking them to over-ride the class cap.
my senior year in college i was out of town for a conference when i returned i found that all the classes i needed were full and that i had not been scheduled do to a parking ticket i was unaware i had.
i went to each professor, and, without much explanation, they were more than willing to over-ride the cap.
good luck:D
love,
dani
Cheri,
It's GREAT that you have decided to go back to school. I have been working toward the same goal. I finished my Associate in Applied Science in Dec. I am now working on a general transfer degree so I can go to SIUE for Early Childhood Education.
This summer I am taking 2 on-line classes and I have signed up for 1 on-line and 1 on campus class for fall.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Amy
Good luck girl! That must have been a huge decision. I really hope you get the classes you want. I'll be crossing my fingers.
Do not let anyone tell you that this is not going to happen.. keep at it. From a previous teacher to a future one, it is worth it!
Proud to have you joining the profession... go to the professors... go above her.
Girl You inspire me!!!! I had no idea you were doing this and I think its absolutely fabulous. I would also tell the lady to blow me!!!! No I wouldn't but I would really want to. I want to back to school someday and online is a great option.I will be praying for you and that you get the clsses you want. We really need to catch up soon, we have ALOT to talk about! Hugs
OMG Cheri that is awesome! I think one of the test of getting thru college is dealing with the administration! Hang in there! You have a plan and a goal and you will get there! I'm cheering for you! BTY, can you keep Bella next week? I just found out daycare is closed ALL WEEK! YIKES! :)
Robin, I like that......why not me!!!
Dani, thank you for the advise. I think I will have to try that if I can't get into any classes next week.
Amy, congratulations to YOU!! I'm sure you will do great at SIUE!!
Liz, thank you and yes it was a HUGE decision. And now that it's made it is frustrating because it is not going as perfect as I wanted it to go.
Thanks, Jill. I appreciate your kind words.
Kelly, looking forward to catching up. Unfortunately, won't make it to the Lake for MOGuate. And I would have loved to tell her to blow me!!!! Next time you get to come with me. Maybe once the boys go back to school we can meet up!
Laurie, I think you are right. I thought that same thing yesterday as I was talking to financial aid. And I would love to watch Bella, I'm afraid that I would be just a bit out of your way!!! =)
Cheri, when life closes a door you can always open a window.... I know that I dont always take my own advise but, I am more than willing to help you. I will watch the kids and the STUPID lady that was so discouraging id wrong... you will find classes that are open.
I know the plan was to start out at community college, but did you check out Lindenwood or Missouri Baptist? They have programs that cater to working adults as far as cost, schedules, locations, etc. MoBap especially is good about letting you take some time to pay (they probably don't want everyone taking as long as I did, lol).
Good luck!
Post a Comment