Ian - Ian is turning into such a big boy. I am so proud of him for all of his accomplishments so far this year. The start of First Grade was a bit rough for Ian. He had problems with keeping his emotions in check. He would have total melt downs at school when he would lose a game or couldn't do something on an assignment. Thankfully his teacher really worked with me. My mom had an idea to send a notebook to school with him. Everyday the teacher had to let me know how the day was. After 7 good days he would get to go to the Dollar Store and pick out two prizes. When I explained this to the teacher she was completely on board, she later told me that she feared we were setting the bar pretty high since it was difficult for him on a daily basis. Low and behold, it worked! The first 7 days he earned a trip to the Dollar Store. Not to say that throughout the first semester at school there was not the occassional bad day, I still have the broken pencil taped in the notebook. We decided after Christmas break that the notebook was no longer needed!!!! He was doing FANTASTIC!!! I could not be prouder of this accomplishment! He continues to do well academically. He is also quite the "sticker boy" at school. The bus driver gives him a sticker in the morning almost daily and for whatever reason Ian loves to put it smack dab in the middle of his forehead and walk around school all day. My little weirdo! (Just kidding of course!) He has many friends in his class and in the neighborhood as well. Playing outside is not his favorite thing in the world to do, he would much rather be inside playing video games or watching tv. He has forever been our little couch potato. He loves to play with his brother and sister, but lately has been trying to take on the role of "mom" much too often. His favorite board game is Monopoly Jr by far. He requests to play that almost daily. Ian is still my kiddo that likes to cuddle the most and still has the most kissable cheeks in the world! I'll take his cuddles anyday of the week! ***Edited to add*** Thank you, Mom! I DID forget to mention about Ian and his sign language. His teacher started teaching the kids sign language wo help them with their first grade sight words. I guess the response by most of the kids was so positive that she started a sign language club. Ian LOVES it! It is really cool for him to teach us all of the signs that he knows and learns. Whenever he sees his teacher, they use sign for a majority of their conversations. Again, I'm so proud!!!!
Brennan - Brennan has had his own challenges that he's been faced with this year! He has had quite the time with reading this year. There were times that we would both end up in tears while practicing reading at home. I finally set up a conference with his teacher and we both agreed that he did need special reading help. He has really only been with the reading teacher for a few weeks, but I can't even begin to tell you the improvement in his reading. I think it is actually fun for him now. It is no longer a fight to get him to do his homework. And NEITHER of us end up in tears. YEAH!!! Math on the other hand is most definitely his thing. He can complete a math page in the blink of an eye. I have to watch this when Ian is doing his math homework at home because Bren likes to "help" him, in other words do it for him and Ian can definitely do it on his own. Bren is just a bit quicker! Brennan is the more active one of the two boys. He loves to run and play outside and jump and play inside as well. Of course he also does like to play video games and watch tv, but neither holds his interest for too long. He'd rather be "playing". Riding his bike is one of his most favorite things to do. Brennan is not the best at keeping hisself entertained when alone. He really likes to have others around to play with. When I need help around the house, Bren is the one to call on. The kid likes to clean and organize!! He has done really well since having his tonsils out earlier in the school year. Having them removed has stopped him from waking up so often in the middle of the night, but of course there are still the nights when old habits die hard and he ends up between Jesse and I. (And the kid is good.......some nights we don't even realize he's "snuck in" until the morning!) I am so proud of everything that Bren has accomplished this year as well. To know how hard he's struggled with reading and to see the improvement already is just amazing. Keep it up, Brennan!
Christina - Oh where to begin with Chrissi! To call her a little spitfire is such an appropriate title. She is such a darling little girl with enough attitude to fill an entire room. She talks in complete sentences and loves to repeat EVERYTHING. She is so cute with her baby dolls. She loves to carry them around like a little mommy and give them their bottles. For Christmas she received lots of baby "stuff"; crib, high chair, strollers, etc. It is such a joy to watch her begin to pretend. She also has become quite the little Lego builder. I don't mean the toddler size Legos, nope not for Chrissi, she likes the little bitty Lego's and you should see the girl build! She is constantly bringing books to us and plopping in our laps semi demanding that we read to her, not that we mind. Usually when she goes off to play on her own she can be found sitting in the toy room reading books. Now as to why I called her a little spitfire. Chrissi girl has quite the little temper on her. She wants what she wants and she wants in YESTERDAY!!!! Yes, in lots of ways she is the typical two year old, but she has begun the hitting and scratching phase........that has got to go. Granted she does have to share her toys three days per week with the other children that I care for, but to me there is no excuse for such behavior. Time outs are definitely not her favorite. She loves to follow her brothers around and imitate everything that they do. If they fall to the floor wrestling you can only guess who is going to end up on top. She still likes to
be held, but she loves her independence just as much. One of her favorite things in the world is to go to BaMa and PaPa's!!! She definitely has them right where she wants them. Chrissi is full of energy and has the sweetest smile and laugh. Even through the not so nice stages, she is our sweet little girl ALWAYS!

4 comments:
Cheri,
You forgot to write about Ian & doing his sign language, how he so easily picks it up & then patiently teaches us.
Mom
this was such a neat post, cheri; i love reading about how your babies have grown and what they've accomplished...
all three are so unique and precious. i know you much be as proud as you are grateful to have them in your life:)
much love,
dani
Cheri how sweet! I'm so proud of your boys too! Such wonderful accomplishments! Way to go Ian and Brennan! Chrissi is just adorable as ever! I've come to the conclusion these little Guatemalan Princesses come with an extra temper gene! :) I've told my mom on more than one occasion, if you are to pay for your raising, why is Bella bad now? I wasn't bad until I was 19 and then I made up for lost time! Heaven help me!
What a sweet post. I loved reading about the kids are hearing how they are doing. Glad to hear that Ian is having better days at school! I can't imagine how fun it would be to see your child- improve in school and start to "get it", like Brennan.
p.s. I still dont' believe you that Chrissi is not a perfect angel.
Post a Comment