Thursday, August 23, 2007

My baby boys are growing up!!!

It is so hard for me to believe, but Ian and Brennan have almost completed their first week of Kindergarten. They are having a BLAST!!!!! I am so proud of both of them. What incredibly big boys they have become.......although, they will always be my babies!!

We had Kindergarten Orientation last Thursday and Ian was not happy when we had to leave the room for the parents to meet in the gym. So that started me out being EXTRA concerned. Ian had a much different experience in Pre-K than Brennan did. While both of their teachers were nice, Brennan's teacher was beyond awesome. She worked with Brennan all year on things that he needed help with. In Pre-K the teachers have a conference with the parents in May. When I met with Bren's teacher I was already aware of almost everything that he still needed work on. When I met with Ian's teacher it was a different story. She did not think he was ready for Kindergarten, afraid that he would fail miserably. She kept going on and on about how shy Ian is and that he may have needed professional help to get over the shyness. So you can imagine that as soon as I got to my car the tears started flowing. What was I doing different with Ian that he was so much further behind Ian? I knew he was shy, but had I overlooked exactly how shy he is? So many questions going through my head.

So you can imagine after seeing him upset with us even walking out of his Kindergarten classroom, we were extremembly anxious about his first day. I emailed his teacher before school started to share some of my concerns with her. She responded quickly that she was happy that I had made her aware of my concerns and she would keep an eye out for shy behavior. I am so pleased to report that Ian is doing AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Here is what she wrote.

I just want you to know that after seeing Ian on Kindergarten Orientation day and reading your email..I was really concerned...BUT guess what?? He is doing AWESOME!!! He talks all of the time, shares and has lots of friends during worktime. Isn't that GREAT!!!

I got all teary eyed reading it. There is nothing like kids to truly bring your emotions to the surface. So now I know the difference is in the teacher. Like I said Brennan's Pre-K teacher was nice, she was just not very warm and fuzzy and energetic as I think teacher's should be. I'm just thrilled with his teacher this year!!!

I am also super please with Brennan's teacher. My neighbor's little girl had her last year and just raved about her. She is so super cool. We sent pictures to her prior to the Orientation and when I walked Brennan into class she addressed him by name. It was soooooo cool!!!!

I will post pictures and other stories from the week soon......this post has gotten long enough!!!

No comments: