Monday, April 27, 2009

My baby boy has another big boo boo!

Two Thursday's ago I was helping out at the boys school. Brennan came to me crying that he hurt his foot from jumping off of something. He basically crawled through the house most of the evening, but I was sure that it was for dramatic effect. He was not saying that it hurt. About 11:30 that night he came into our room crying really hard. At that point I thought I was going to get dressed and take him the ER that night. Not the case, he settled down in OUR bed.

That Friday morning he had an appt with his asthma doctor. The doctor also used to be an ER doc so he took a look at Brennan's foot. He was quite certain that it was broke, so he sent us for an Xray. At this point Jesse had to take the day off work without pay, because at Verizon there is no such thing as a paid sick day. It was a priority that we had this taken care of on Friday because he had TerraNova testing at school the following week. (and it had been stressed to us all year the importance of the kids being at school for the testing.) After the xray we waited at home to figure out what in the world the next step would be. Finally around 2p we found out the xray had been read by a radiologist and the report was at the doc's office. We called and spoke with the nurse. She informed us that it was broken. We set up an appt with the orthopaedic doctor for the same day and figured we were good to go. Not 20 minutes later the nurse called to apologize. She misread the report. Oops! But seriously, it was not a big deal. We all make mistakes.

Fast forward to this week. Monday was fine. Brennan was still limping but was also running and playing with his friends. Tuesday, his teacher sent him to the nurse and the nurse calls me. Wednesday, same thing. At that point I called his pediatrician to see what I should do next. I made an appt for that Thursday with the orthopaedic surgeon.

Let me tell you that was an experience in itself........the 1 1/2 hour wait in the waiting room. UGH!!! We FINALLY walked in the exam room and the Physicians Asst walked in and was pretty quick to tell me it was broken. She pulled up the original xrays (you know the ones taken almost a full week before that were read by a Radiologist, who wrote in the report that nothing was broken) and said that clear as day was the break. Seriously? I did learn a valuable lesson, I know where NOT to go for xrays.

Poor little guy! What a trooper. He walked on the broken foot for a week. Not our fault, but there is still a lot of guilt there!!! He is getting around great, even made it to the Cards game yesterday. He's such an awesome kid!






4 comments:

Kelly said...

He is a trooper!!!!! I am so glad you had fun at the game!!!!

Laurie said...

Poor Brennan what a trooper and I'm digging the orange cast! :)

Cheri said...

Orange is his favorite color!

dani said...

poor guy:(
much love,
dani xxxxx